Training Modules for New York State Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program
Crime statistics submitted to the New York State UCR depends on the proper classification and scoring of crimes by the reporting agencies. To ensure consistent crime reporting across the State, DCJS is developing a series of training modules to assist local law enforcement with their participation in the UCR Program. These topic-specific modules will be presented as on-line Power Point presentation which users can access any time. Below is the current list of training modules available for viewing. New modules will be added periodically.
- Reporting Domestic Violence Victim Data (1/27/2014) – Reviews the information reported on the Domestic Violence Victims table and clarifies the what qualifies as a domestic relationship. View Slides with audio (wmv); View Slides with Notes (ppt)
- Reporting Hate Crime Incidents (6/26/2013) – Reviews the New York State Hate Crimes Statute, provides guidance in identifying bias crime, and walks through the UCR reporting of a hate crime incident. View slides with audio (.wmv); View slides with notes (ppt); Frequently Asked Questions (pdf).
- Reporting Juvenile Crime, Measuring Juvenile Criminal Behavior(3/28/2013) – Provides an overview of the UCR requirements for reporting juvenile arrests/criminal activity on the UCR Age, Sex, and Race Arrest form.
View slides with audio (.wmv); View slides with notes (ppt); Frequently Asked Questions (pdf)
- Uniform Crime Reporting of Property Crime (12/19/2008) – Provides an overview of the UCR reporting of the monetary values associate with Part I crimes on the Return A form. View slides with audio (wmv); View slides with notes (ppt).
IJ Portal UCR Submission Interface Training Videos
The UCR Submission Interface, which is hosted on the Integrated Justice Portal (IJPortal), enables summary reporting agencies to submit monthly UCR reports directly to the state’s crime reporting database. The following short videos provide users with step by step instructions on accessing the UCR interface and completing each monthly report type (more videos will be posted in the early 2014). A complete desktop user guide for the UCR Interface is available.
- Submitting Return A through the IJ Portal (3/5/2014) – Reviews entering data into each page of the Return A. View video (wmv)
- Accessing the UCR Interface through the IJ Portal (12/10/2013) – Walks the user through logging into the IJ Portal, accessing the UCR submission interface, submitting reports with Nothing to Report, and updating preparer information. View video (wmv);