Mandated Security Guard Training Courses
Training for security guards was mandated by the Security Guard Act of 1992. The Act requires that all security guards complete three training courses. Armed guards are required to complete two additional training courses. All courses must be conducted at approved training schools, by certified instructors. The Division of Criminal Justice Services, Office of Public Safety provides administrative oversight for private security training in New York State.
- The first required course, is an Eight Hour Pre-Assignment Training course. This is a general introductory course. Upon successful completion of this course the guard is issued a training certificate. This certificate must accompany the security guard's registration application when submitted to the Department of State. Once the application is submitted, the guard has 90 days to complete the second training course.
- The second required course is the 16 Hour On-the-Job Training course (OJT). This training program should be relevant to the guard's duties, requirements of the work site, and the needs of the employer. Schools may conduct this training in an approved classroom setting or at an approved work site which is conducive to learning.
- The third required training program is the Eight Hour Annual In-service course. This training must be completed each calendar year following completion of the 16 Hour OJT course. This program is designed to meet current training needs and refresh or update guards in changes in the security field. The guard must complete this course as a prerequisite for renewal of his or her guard registration.
- Guards who carry firearms are required to complete a 47 Hour Firearms course before they can be licensed as an armed security guard. This course includes seven hours of classroom instruction in the Use of Force (NYS Penal Law Art. 35) followed by a written examination, and 40 hours on the firing range followed by weapons qualification. Upon successful completion of this course the guard is issued a training certificate. This certificate must accompany the security guard's registration application when submitted to the Department of State.
- Armed guards must also complete an Annual Eight Hour Firearms Training course which includes three hours of classroom refresher on the Use of Force followed by a written examination, and five hours of weapons qualification which includes a proficiency examination. The guard must complete this course as a prerequisite for renewal of his or her armed guard registration.
For more information, please email or call us at 518-457-2667.